Wednesday 13 March 2013

BLACK SWANS ON THE YARRA

The Black Swan (Cygnus atratus) is a large waterbird, a species of swan, which breeds mainly in the southeast and southwest regions of Australia. The species was hunted to extinction in New Zealand, but later reintroduced. Within Australia they are nomadic, with erratic migration patterns dependent upon climatic conditions. Black Swans are large birds with mostly black plumage and red bills. They are monogamous breeders that share incubation duties and cygnet rearing between the sexes. We very often see black swans on Melbourne waterways and the Yarra at Southbank is no exception.

This post is part of the Water World Wednesday meme,
and also part of the Outdoor Wednesday meme.




5 comments:

  1. I have only seen one theses gorgeous black swans in my entire life. It was last fall and was believed to have been blown this far north by Hurricane Sandy. I never got any photos because I only had my shot lens with me. When I returned he was gone. I am glad you posted this fine collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´ve never seen a black swan but your pictures show that they are very beauty!
    Your last pic is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These seem so exotic to me! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! That last shot is precious. The close up is awesome too. I love black swans.

    Visiting from Water World Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that last shot too Nick. Framing material. It is quite amusing to see these Swans stop traffic when they waddle across the road.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!